Saturday, December 10, 2011

random piece of writing #4


            “I am only trying to help, baby, you know that,” Victor said, sitting next to me on my bed, gently brushing hair away from my face.
            “But it’s not helping! I do not want to stop! And I don’t understand why you would want me to either,” I replied angrily, sitting up in bed and turning towards him, my eyes filled with anger. He placed one his icy hands over mine, his long, slender fingers curling around my small hand.
            “I do not want you to think it is your responsibility to feed me.”
            “But if you drink from me, you don’t have to hurt anybody else. No one has to die.” Victor looked at me with sadness in his eyes; I knew he was thinking about the countless number of people he had killed over the centuries, draining their bodies of every drop of blood.
            “I just do not like you hurting yourself. If you are upset in any way, you know I am always here for you.”
            “Unless the sun is up,” I replied, ripping my hand from his and getting off my bed and staring out my bedroom window into the moonless sky. It wasn’t Victor’s fault the sun would kill him; being a vampire was not a choice he was given, but something forced upon him. I knew it hurt him when I mentioned he could never be there for me during the day, and I didn’t want to hurt or blame him. But it was the truth.
            I didn’t notice Victor getting up from my bed until he was standing behind me, his icy hands on my small shoulders.
            “I am so sorry, my love,” he whispered gently into my ear. The guilt and pain in his voice was heartbreaking. I turned towards him, wrapping my arms around his waist and burying my now tear-streaked face into his chest. He stroked my hair while I quietly cried.
            “I’m the one who should be sorry,” I whispered when I was out of tears. “I know it’s not your fault; I forget that sometimes. I’m sorry.” I looked up into his eyes, deep, dark blue, like the bottom of an ocean. I got lost in them frequently. He leaned down and gently kissed away my tears, one at a time. “If you want me to stop cutting, I’ll… I’ll do my best, but I can’t promise anything.” He kissed my lips, our black lipstick mixing together.
            “Just promise you will be careful.”
            “I promise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment