Saturday, December 10, 2011

open relationship - a poem


Open Relationship
You have your life
And I have mine.

We were friends
Once in time.

We shared joy and laughter
(and some sad times, too).

But you were always there
When I needed you.

You helped me through
Many tough times
Because you were a friend of mine.

You even told me you loved me
Although how much I didn't know.

But I believed you
And I never wanted you to go.

I thought our happiness would last forever
Even though you weren't near.

But as time moved on
I started to see.

There were many differences
Between you and me.

You were two years older
And headed for the stars.

While I would be stuck at home
My freedom not stretching very far.

And then one day you were gone
Even though you were never actually here.

I tried to be happy for you
Once your new life began.

But all my efforts were in vain
Because soon I was enveloped with pain.

You'd met another
And it seemed
You were happy as could be.

I tried to like her, too
I really tried hard.

But it didn't help
Because the pain didn't melt.

So I thought we were over
Done, finished, through.

Until one day
You told me some bittersweet news.

"She makes me very unhappy," you'd said
"She's always depressed, complaining, and a total mess."

I hadn't told you of the pain
I was going through.

I wanted you to think of me
As a supportive friend
Like the one I once knew.

So I offered suggestions, advice
For my love for you was still strong.

Finally, you decided
"I should end it —
It's for the best."

But you couldn't help feeling
Some dread in your chest.

I asked when you'd do it
And you said
"Soon, soon, soon!"

It's been over a month now
Since you said those words.

And you did nothing.

We've drifted apart, too
That's simple to see.

But I still miss
The way things used to be.

The joy, the happiness
Even the sadness we shared.

I try to be strong
Each and every day.

For I want you to be happy
I know deep down I do.

But I'll never stop envying her

The one who killed me and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment